Monday, July 26, 2010

The Age of Reason by Jean Paul Sartre

As is typically the case, I think, Sartre is another writer who I more or less exclusively read while I was in college. This is the first novel in a trilogy, a portrait of a Parisian bourgeois living in the shadows of fascism. It's written in a fairly straightforward style, focusing on three days in the life of a philosophy teacher who needs to find some money to pay for an abortion for his mistress. I never managed to read any of the other books in the trilogy, though I've had one of them, Troubled Sleep, sitting on my shelf for about eight years. Maybe I need to ease off the hardboiled mysteries and read more intellectual novels for a change.

I love the Sartre seal on the front cover and the ornate type on the spine.

1 comment:

  1. Sartre's works interest me. I found one of his books stashed away in my mom's closet; I don't remember what it was, but I think it starts with a P. I'm also curious about his philosophy.

    ReplyDelete