Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Nest of Ninnies by John Ashbery & James Schuyler

I saw this book sitting out on a table at the Montague Book Mill in Western Massachusetts and was immediately intrigued by the fact that it was a novel written by two New York school poets. Then when I realized that the cover was designed by Joe Brainard, I was sold. The back of the book divulged nothing about the plot, but I didn't let that deter me. Even when the lady at the register told me the book wasn't "nearly as fun as you want it to be," I still bought it.

Written by Ashbery and Schuyler one sentence at a time over a number of years, this supposedly comic novel explores the pretensions of the suburban upper middle class--in this case, in Westchester County. More or less plotless, not too much happens beyond these people going out and eating and drinking and talking. I guess the next time a salesperson tries to deter me from actually making a purchase, I'll listen. At least it has an awesome cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment