Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tales of Woodsman Pete by Lilli Carre

I'd been curious about Lilli Carre since reading some of her comics in The Best American Comics 2006. I happened to find a copy of this book for $3 at Normals in Baltimore and figured that was a good sign that I was supposed to check it out.

The stories, which revolve around Woodsman Pete, a bearded mountain man type, and Paul Bunyan (you know, the giant lumberjack with a blue ox friend), put a bit of a spin on myths. They're just a tad uncomfortable, especially the strips starring Woodsman Pete, but in a weird, funny way.

I really like the drawing style, and the storytelling is great too, especially the one about how all those random objects you see washing up on shore ended up there in the first place.

I love the tear drops on the inside front and back covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment